Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)

Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)
One of my favorite still life subjects of Van Gogh, the cut branch in a glass, I ran across this one with the book behind creating a complicated compositional element. Note also the use of complementary colors, red and green, creating a vibration in the painting.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Daniel Chester French

Happy Birthday Daniel Chester French!! Born in New Hampshire, in 1850, French first studied sculpture in Boston with William Hunt. His father was a lawyer and they were neighbors to Louisa May Alcott and her family, whose sister May encouraged French to pursue a career in sculpture. He is best known for his monumental sculpture of Abraham Lincoln, located in the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. I was awestruck when I approached the immense seated figure of one of my heroes.


1 comment: