Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)

Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)
One of my favorite still life subjects of Van Gogh, the cut branch in a glass, I ran across this one with the book behind creating a complicated compositional element. Note also the use of complementary colors, red and green, creating a vibration in the painting.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Marco Zanuso

Happy Birthday to my Dad, Harry Todd Crittenden and Happy Birthday Marco Zanuso!! Italian born designer from Milan, Zanuso was born in 1916. After graduating with a degree in architecture from the Polytechnic in Milan he went on to become a professor there. In addition to practicing architecture and urban planning, he was one of the foremost designers of post war Italy. His work is described as elegant, but functional. He was editor of a couple of publications, expounding on his theories of the Modern Design movement. He designed several innovative chairs, including the stackable children's chair from plastic and the “Lady's Chair” pictured here. The funny thing about the artist for today sharing a birthday with my dad is that my dad also loved chairs! As long s I can remember we had stacks of chairs in our basement that my dad ws re-finishing and refurbishing! He loved fixing chairs...


No comments:

Post a Comment