Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)

Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass (1888)
One of my favorite still life subjects of Van Gogh, the cut branch in a glass, I ran across this one with the book behind creating a complicated compositional element. Note also the use of complementary colors, red and green, creating a vibration in the painting.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Henry Kobell

Happy Birthday Henry Kobell!! Dutch painter and cartoonist, Kobell was born in 1751. Oh my I have had quite a time finding information about this artist...I do know he came from a German family of many artists. He studied in Amsterdam but returned to his hometown of Delfshaven where he founded an artistic society which later became the Academy of Fine Arts. His main focus was seascapes. Sadly he died at the young age of 27. The painting I am including today is titled Scheveningen Netherlands 1786 or the Flood.


No comments:

Post a Comment